Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Just Saw A Clip Of Tom DeLay Dancing And Choked On My Hamburger


Okay. That was a long post title and I'm sorry. But it really just happened. Well...it was a quick day at work. We got a little bit of rain at our last stop, but I found a rain jacket underneath the seat on the truck. After coming home and surfing the Abilene Reporter-News online message board for the daily insights from the random field of Big Country whackos, I'm bored. It's funny how "Liberal", "Democrat", "Republican" and "Conservative" have become insults. Politics is the ugliest side of being an American. I never wanted to be a politician, but I'd love to be a journalist covering.....not politicians......but the ugly things they say about the other side. It sure would be fun to fact-check everything they say and use it against them. I often catch myself doing the same thing when I'm on the AR-N message board. Thank the Lord for Google!
In the car today, I put the "Roxy/& Elsewhere" CD from Frank Zappa back in the player. I really wish the Zappa family would release the video footage from those shows. That was one of my favorite incarnations of the group...mainly because of the horn section and the AMAZING Napoleon Murphy Brock. Plus, it had some good back-and-forth banter between Frank and the band members---not to mention the dance contest at the end. It just doesn't translate well without the video.
I'm going to try not to sing Frank's praises on every post, but at the moment, I'm in a big Zappa phase. I stumbled onto Frank in a "reverse-engineering" type of way. It started with my fascination with Steve Vai back in high school. Steve's guitar playing and musical structuring was like NOTHING I had ever heard before. It was like a mix of classical compositions and hard rock guitar, with a little LSD-induced hallucinations intertwined. Soon after that, I found Dweezil and his brother's (Ahmet) band called AZ/DZ. I had no idea that their dad was a musician. In the middle of my Dream Theater phase, I learned that their drummer (Mike Portnoy) was a HUGE Zappa fan. I found a VHS tape for rent of a tribute concert for Frank that included Steve Vai and Dweezil (the two main reasons I wanted to watch it). It blew my mind. I suddenly realized where all of these great musicians learned their craft of turning music into psychedelic soundscapes. Since then, I've tried my hardest to get as many Zappa CDs and DVDs as I can find. This may be an expensive task, though, because unlike other musicians who died way before their time, Frank has over 70 albums and a million bootlegs and compilations. Happy Hunting!
Well, it seems my niece's golf team at McMurry is going to be a really good one. They've placed in the top 3 or 4 in just about every tournament and she's shooting in the low 80's and upper 70's. I hope they can make it back to Nationals this year.
Cooler weather means that Winter is on its way! (Oops...forgot about Fall)
Oh, well. It's closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas...which means I'll be gaining weight again! This Christmas, the family will be heading back to Ruidoso to a rented house to spend the holidays. This is the fourth year in a row that we've decided to take a trip instead of exchanging gifts. Luckily, my family gets along and we usually laugh and play games the entire time. This year we lucked out and got a 2-story house with a hot tub, fooseball and pool tables. And we've been lucky so far to have snow on Christmas day every time. I hope that continues. Last year, I made the kids watch Season One of Paranormal State and some of my Ghost Hunters DVDs. I wonder what I can do to scare them this year....
Well....at the moment, Buckley is curled up in his paper sack with his nose and tail sticking out. I'm trying to distract him lately because he thinks he gets to go outside every time the door is open.
I'm about 3/4ths of the way through my current book: "Hostage to the Devil" by Malachi Martin. It is a very disturbing book about Possession and Exorcism in the mid- and late-1900's. If anyone has read Frank Peretti's books or watched the movies "The Exorcist" and "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"....this book is basically a REAL version of them all. Very disturbing.
Okay. Well, that's all for today. I hope you enjoyed everything that spilled out of my brain today. Check back soon for more fun highlights of my meager existence!

No comments:

Post a Comment